Decatur County is named for Stephen Decatur, who was served in the Barbary war and War of 1812 as a naval officer.
Created: December 8, 1823
George G Gaines House 1824 – 1824
Bainbridge 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Bainbridge
Location: 112 West Water Street / North West Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Alexander Blair III of Macon
Contractor: Nicholas Ittner
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the second story are large arched windows and the center window has a balcony. On the southeast corner of the building is a four story square brick clock tower with open cupola at the top. The south side of the building has two large arches on the first story and a large square tower on the southwest corner with balustrade around the top. The courtroom is located on the second story. On the west side is the two story red colored brick Courthouse Annex.
E – Grady County
S – Gadsden County, Florida
Photos taken 2009 and 2018