Turner County is named for Henry Turner, who was a justice of the Georgia Supreme Court.
Created: August 18, 1905
Ashburn 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Ashburn
Location: 219 East College Avenue / McClendon Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Alexander Blair of Macon and Peter E Dennis
Contractor: J H McKenzie & Sons
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds.and the southeast front has a central portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the south corner is a five story square red colored brick tower rising to a clock and octagonal white colored cupola with gold colored dome at the top. On the northwest side is another portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The corners of the building have stone trim, The roof line is flat. The building was restored in 1984. The architect was O’Steen & Suttles of Douglas and the contractor was Charles E Lewis Construction Company of Douglas. Further restoration was completed in 2001. The architect was Danita M Brown and the contractor was Tim O’Neil Enterprises, Inc, of St. Augustine, Florida and E & D Coatings Inc. of Savannah.
Note: On the east side of the courthouse is the old county jail built in 1906. The building now houses the Crime and Punishment Museum.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Turner County Courthouse.
W – Worth County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2013 and 2018