Atkinson County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Atkinson County
Atkinson

Atkinson County is named for William Y Atkinson, who was a former governor of Georgia.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Coffee County 

E – Ware County

S – Clinch County and Lanier County

W – Berrien County

 

Created:  January 1, 1919                      Map of Georgia highlighting Atkinson County

County Seat: 

Pearson  1919 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pearson 

 

Location:  305 Main Street / East Roberts Avenue

Built:  1919 – 1920

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  James J Baldwin

Contractor:  Holley Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Pearson. The north front has a porch with four large columns rising to a wide header. The entrance is trimmed with stone and recessed. The corners of the building are trimmed with stone and a horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with clock and white colored dome at the top. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The old jail is on the south side of the building.

 

See: The architect, James J Baldwin also designed courthouses in Bacon CountyBarrow County, Candler CountyEvans County, Lee County, Liberty County and Treutlen County, and in North Carolina in Cherokee County.

 

History:  The courthouse is the first and only courthouse erected in the county.

 

 

2088f09

County Courthouse – Pearson

 

 

2089f09

 

 

2090f09

 

 

2093f09

 

 

2094f09

 

 

2091f09

 

 

2092f09

 

 

2095f09

Photos taken 2009