Mitchell County is named for Henry Mitchell, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War and former president of the Georgia Senate, and who lived from 1760 to 1839.
Created: December 21, 1857
Camilla 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Camilla
Location: 11 West Broad Street / North Court Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco and Stripped Classical
Architect: William J J Chase
Contractor: Griffin Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a projecting center section with three vertical windows having the entrance in the center of the first story. At the top is a clock. The east and west wings extend south from the main building. The courtroom is located on the second story. This was a Works Projects Administration project.
Note: The 1890 courthoase designed by Bruce and Morgan and built by Dawson Variely Manufacturing Company was torn down when the new courthouse was constructed.
W – Baker County
Photos taken 2009 and 2018