Thomas County is named for Jett Thomas, who was a hero of the War of 1812 and oversaw the building of the University of Georgia.
Created: December 25, 1825
Thomasville 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Thomasville
Location: 225 North Broad Street / West Jefferson Street
Built: 1856 – 1857
Style: Greek Revival and Classical Victorian
Architect: John Wind
Contractor: H C Bowen and William Bowen
Description: The building faces east and is a is a three story grey colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with a fountain.. The east front has an arched entrance on the second story with steps ascending on the north and south sides. The center section projects from the main building. There is white colored trim on the corners of the building. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with clock. The former courtroom on the second story is now the Commissioners Chamber. In 1887, William Miller designed the square including the large fountain. The building was remodeled in 1888 by contractor Eaves & Chase. Further renovations were done in 1909 when the clock was added. In 1918 to 1919 a wing was added by contractor G T Potter. In 1922, one story wings were added to the front of the building by contractor H L Allan. In 1936 to 1937, the Annex was built at the rear of the building. The architect was Prince E Jinright and the contractor was Brenton and Sons. The building was remodeled in 2012 to 2013 by the Thomas County Board of Commissioners.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Thomas County Courthouse
Judicial Center – Thomasville
Location: 325 North Madison Street / Washington Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: Lord Aeck Sargent and Elliott Marshall Innes
Contractor: Culpepper Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast front gas a projecting center section with open porch on the first story. Brick pillars run along the first story. The interior has an atrium with large glass skylight. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The roof line is flat.
E – Brooks County
W – Grady County
Photos taken 2009