Dougherty County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Dougherty County
Dougherty

Dougherty County is named for Charles Dougherty, who was a lawyer from Athens, Georgia and a states rights advocate.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Terrell County and Lee County

E – Worth County

S – Mitchell County and Baker County

W – Calhoun County

 

Created:  December 15, 1853                Map of Georgia highlighting Dougherty County

County Seat: 

Albany  1853 – present

 

County Courthouse – Albany 

 

Location:  225 Pine Avenue / Hall Street

Built:  1966 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Harry A MacEwen and Edmond V Jones

Contractor:  Davis Construction & Engineers, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Albany. The south front forms a “U” with a west and east two story wing with a courtyard between. The central front has five high narrow arches with a recessed entrance. Above the two story entrance, the third story is recessed with arched windows. The building also served as the City Hall until the Government Center was completed across the street in 1993. The building is named as the County Judicial Building.

 

History:  The first court met in rented premises until the first courthouse was built in Albany by slave labor in 1856. The second courthouse was designed by T F Lockwood and constructed by W T Hadlow Company in 1904. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1966. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 as a shared building with the City of Albany. In 1993, the building became the County Judicial Building.

 

County Administration – Albany

 

1958f09

 

Location:  240 Pine Avenue / Court Avenue

Built:  1998 – 1999

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Albany to the south west of the courthouse. The east end has large vertical pillars rising to the roof line. Behind the pillars are glass panels. The roof line is flat. The building is the Central Square Government Complex.

 

County Government Center – Albany

 

1953f09

 

Location:  222 Pine Avenue / Court Avenue

Built:  1992 – 1993

Style:  Modern

Architect:  David Maschhi & Associates and Yielding & Wakeford Associates of Albany

Contractor:  Williams Construction Company of Columbus

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a five story dark red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Albany to the south of the courthouse. The north front has a projecting portico on the first story with pillars rising to support a curved roof. The center section projects from the main building  and rises to the roof life. There are projecting east and west corner sections with porches on the first story. The building is the Central Square Government Center and houses the County and City of Albany offices.

 

 

1939f09

County Courthouse – Albany

 

 

1938f09

 

 

1941f09

 

 

1942f09

 

 

 

431f18

 

 

432f18

 

 

433f18

 

 

436f18

 

 

437f18

 

 

438f18

 

 

439f18

 

 

440f18

 

 

441f18

 

 

1946f09

 

 

1948f09

 

 

1959f09

County Administration – Albany

 

 

1960f09

 

 

1950f09

County Government Center – Albany

 

 

1951f09

 

 

1954f09

 

 

443f18

 

 

445f18

Photos taken 2009 and 2018