Grady County is named for Henry W Grady, who was an editor or orator from Athens, Georgia.
Created: August 17, 1905
Cairo 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Cairo
Location: 250 North Broad Street / 3rd Avenue NE
Built: 1984 – 1985
Style: Modern Classical Revival
Architect: Jinright & Ryan of Thomasville
Contractor: Hollis & Spann of Dothan, Alabama
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the portico is white colored facade. Vertical white colored dividers separate the windows. A wide horizontal band runs below the roof line. On the roof are two small dormers on either side of the portico. On the north and south sides are small porticoes.
Note: The previous courthouse designed by Alexander Blair and constructed in 1908 to 1909 was destroyed by fire on February 18, 1980.
N – Mitchell County
E – Thomas County
W – Decatur County
Bell from 1909 courthouse
Photos taken 2009 and 2018