Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a patriot during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: May 15, 1821
McDonough 1821 – present
County Courthouse – McDonough
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / Lawrenceville Street
Built: 1897 – 1898
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: J W Golucke & Stewart
Contractor: Frank P Heifner
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of McDonough. The south front has a projecting large stone trimmed arch with recessed entrance at the center of the first story. On either side of the center section are projecting sections which rise to peaked roofs above the third story. Behind the center section rises a five story square clock tower with white colored brick and open section below the clock and steep roof. The roof is gabled. The building was reconstructed in 1980 to 11981. The architect was Nix, Mann & Associates, Inc. and the contractor was The Flager Company. The building was renovated in 2008. The architect was OJP Architects and the contractor was Headley Construction Corporation. On the west side is a modern two story red colored brick addition constructed in 2000 to 2003.
County Judicial Center – McDonough
Location: 44 John Frank Ward Boulevard / Lawrenceville Street
Built: 2004 – 2006
Architect: PRAD Group
Contractor: Ordner Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of McDonough to the east of the courthouse. The south front has a projecting center section with three entrances on the first story. On the east and west sides of the front are projecting sections. There is a wide white colored band running below the roof line and vertical bands around the building. The roof line is flat.
History: The first court met in the home of William Ruff. The first courthouse was built in 1823 and burned in the same year. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1831 and was located in the center of the Public Square with gallows on the north side. When the 1897 third courthouse was constructed, the building was located on the north side of the Public Square but there was not enough space to erect gallows behind the building, so the county had to rent space from the adjoining landowner. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1897 to 1898. The Judicial center was constructed in 2004 to 2006.
S – Splading County
W – Clayton County
County Courthouse - McDonough
County Judicial Center - McDonough
Photos taken 2013 and 2018