Irwin County is named for Jared Irwin, who was a Governor of Georgia.
Created: December 15, 1818
Irwinville 1818 – 1907
Ocilla 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Ocilla
Location: 301 South Irvin Avenue / West 2nd Street
Built: 1908 – 1910
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: H L Lewman
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The east front has a large portico with four tall columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are similar porticoes on the north and south sides. On the center of the roof is a dark brown colored cupola with clock and dome at the top. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1972. The building was further renovated in 1999 to 2000. The architect was McCall & Associates of Valdosta.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1839 in Irwinville. The second courthouse was built in 1854 in Irwinville.
See: The architect, H C Lewman also designed and his company, Falls City Construction Company, built the courthouse in Stephens County. The cornerstone of each courthouse shows only Falls City Construction Company.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
N – Ben Hill County
E – Coffee County
S – Berrien County
Photos taken 2013 and 2018