Sumter County is named for Thomas Sumter, who was the last surviving officer of the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 26, 1831
Americus 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Americus
Location: 500 West Lanier Street / Dudley Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: Rosser International of Atlanta
Contractor: Rosser International of Atlanta
Description: The building faces north and is a three story dark red-brown brick and concrete structure. The north front has a projecting one story central section with large arch and recessed entrance. Behind is a projecting section with large arched window on the third story. On the west side rises a four story square brick tower with clock and pitched roof at the top. On the east side is an octagonal brick tower with octagonal sloped roof. The roof is hipped.
Note: The marble clad courthouse constructed in 1958 to 1959 was demolished and the marble used to make furniture used in the new courthouse. One of the old prision cell doors has been retained and is located on the grounds.
Photos taken 2013