Bacon County is named for Augustus Octavius Bacon, who was a United States Senator.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Appling County
W – Coffee County
Created: November 3, 1914
Alma 1914 – present
County Courthouse – Alma
Location: 502 West 12th Street / South Dixon Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: James J Baldwin
Contractor: R W Wimbish
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Alma. The northeast front has a large portico with four high white colored columns rising to a pediment with circular window, at the roof line. The second story windows are arched. On the roof is a white colored octagonal cupola with clock and gold colored dome at the top. The old courtroom is located on the second story and the courtroom is located on the second story of the addition. The building houses the County Superior Court, County State Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and County Magistrate Court of the 1st Judicial Administrative District. An addition was constructed in 2000, on the southwest side which fans out from the original building.
See: The architect, James J Baldwin also designed courthouses in Atkinson County, Barrow County, Bleckley County, Candler County, Evans County, Lee County, Liberty County and Treutlen County, and in North Carolina in Cherokee County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Bacon County Courthouse
See: The 1st Judicial District includes Appling County, Brantley County, Bulloch County, Bryan County, Camden County, Charlton County, Chatham County, Coffee County, Effingham County, Evans County, Glynn County, Jeff Davis County, Jenkins County, Liberty County, Long County, McIntosh County, Pierce County, Screven County, Tattnall County, Ware County and Wayne County.
Old County Courthouse – Alma
Location: 203 – 205 West Eleventh Street / North Church Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Alma. The south front has gray colored glazed bricks and an ornamental cornice. There are two recessed entrances. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Rabinowitz Building.
History: The county was created in 1914 and Alma was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was the Rabinowitz Building where the court met on the second story until 1920 until the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1918 to 1919.
County Courthouse – Alma
County Superior Court courtrom
Photos taken 2012 and 2020