Chatham County is named for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, who was the British Prime Minister who was sympathetic to the American cause during the period leading up to the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 5, 1777
Savannah 1777 – present
County Courthouse – Savannah
Location: 133 Montgomery Street / West York Street
Built: 1976 – 1978
Architect: Maddox and Associates
Contractor: Batson-Cook Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a six story buff colored stone rectangular structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has narrow horizontal windows. The first entrances are recessed. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the J Tom Coleman Courthouse – Judicial Center. On the south side is the County Jail which is now vacant.
Old County Courthouse – Savannah
Location: 124 Bull Street / West Bryan Street
Built: 1887 – 1889
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: William Preston
Contractor: Miles & Bradt.
Description: The building faces west.and is a three story yellow-buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on an entire block along the east side of Wright Square. The west front has a large arch on the first story with recessed entrance. On the north side, the building rises to a a fenced patio and beside it rises the clock tower. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Administrative Legislative Center.
Note: A courthouse was built after 1752. In 1765, the a second courthouse was built on Wright Square by Peter Tondee and Joseph Dunlap and completed in 1773, and in 1778, it became the first county courthouse. In 1796, the courthouse was damaged by fire, repaired in 1804 and used until 1830. The second county courthouse was built in 1831 to 1832 at a cost of $27,484. In 1889, the courthouse was demolished.
N – Jasper County, South Carolina
E – Atlantic Ocean
Old County Jail ( now closed )
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2008 and 2018