Cherokee County is named for the Cherokee Native American tribe.
Created: January 4, 1839
Murphy 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Murphy
Location: 75 Peachtree Street / Central Street
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: James J Baldwin
Contractor: James Fanning, Incorporated
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story gray colored Blue Marble stone structure. The southwest corner of the building has a high portico with four columns rising at a pediment at the roof line. The building is tiered with west and south wings. On the center of the roof is a high octagonal dome with clock and black colored dome and small lantern at the top. The building was renovated in 2012. The architect was Clark Patterson Lee and the contractor was Wells and West.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Bruce & Morgan in 1896 and destroyed by fire on January 16, 1926. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $200,000.
W – Polk County, Tennessee
Photos taken 2012