Jeff Davis County is named for Jefferson Davis, who was the president of the Confederate States of America from 1861 to 1865.
Created: March 15, 1887
Fort Davis 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Davis
Location: 100 State Street / Court Avenue
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: L L Thurmon & Company of Dallas
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red and white colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north and south sides have large porticoes with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The horizontal brickwork alternated from red to white colored brick. A wide horizontal band with projecting cornice runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large dome with clock. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in 2003. The architect was The Williams Company Architects and the contractor was F T James Construction, Inc. To the south is the old stone jail built in 1910.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was an adobe structure built in 1880. as the courthouse for Presidio County and which became the courthouse in 1887 for Jeff Davis County The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $4,700.
S – Presidio County
W – Presidio County and Mexico
Picture 1887 Courthouse
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2014 and 2019