Screven County is named for James Screven, who was a brigadier general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 14, 1793
Rocky Ford 1793 – 1797
Jacksonboro 1797 – 1847
Sylvania 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Sylvania
Location: 216 Mims Road / W T Sharpe Drive
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Sewell & Associates of Savannah
Contractor: McKnight Construction of Augusta
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is surrounded by landscaped grounds. The center entrance is recessed with a yellow colored overhang. The northwest wing is higher and solid brick. The building has a sloped green colored roof.
Note: In 1897, county officials contracted with Algernon Blair of Montgomery, Alabama. to build a new two story brick courthouse for $15,000 over the site of the former courthouse. This courthouse was torn down in 1963 and the new courthouse was constructed further west from the town square.
W – Jenkins County
Old 1897 courthouse
Photos taken 2008