Wayne County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Wayne County

Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Tattnall County and Long County

E – McIntosh County and Glynn County

S – Brantley County

W – Pierce County and Appling County


Created:  May 11, 1803                          Map of Georgia highlighting Wayne County

County Seat: 

Tuckersville  1803 – 1843

Waynesville  1843 – 1873

Jesup           1873 – present


County Courthouse – Jesup


Location:  174 North Brunswick Street / East Walnut Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  S A Baker

Contractor:  T J Darling of Waycross


Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jesup. The building has a large red colored brick central tower rising four stories with a large clock at the roof. The windows are arched with a large window over the entrance. The north and south section project from the main building. The building was renovated in 1997 to 1999 and the work was done by The Georgia State Prison System. On the southeast side of the building is the Clerk’s Office constructed in 1975. The architect was Cunningham, Forehand and Stringer and the contractor was Watson-Yeargan, Inc.


Note:   James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta is presumed to have been the architect of the courthouse.


History:  Tuckersville was designated as the county seat and Waynesville was appointed as the county seat in 1843. The county did not have a permanent courthouse until the first courthouse was a wooden structure built nine miles northwest of Waynesville. in 1860. In 1873, the county seat was moved to Jesup and the second courthouse was built. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1903.




County Courthouse – Jesup

























County Clerk’s Office – Jesup










Photos taken 2009 and 2013