Evans County is named for Clement Anseim Evans, who was a judge, minister, state senator and a United States Army officer wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg.
Created: August 11, 1914
Claxton 1914 – present
County Courthouse – Claxton
Location: 123 West Main Street / North Grady Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: James J Baldwin
Contractor: West Point Iron Works
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. There is a large portico on the front side with four large white colored columns supporting the pediment. There are white colored panels between the windows on the first and second stories. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with clock.
Note: The first building used as a courthouse was the White Building, a three-story edifice built by R King White and later bought by Mrs. Ben Daniel. Mrs. Daniel’s husband, Dr. Ben Daniel, used the building as his office. This building which stands on the south side of Railway Avenue, was used until 1923, when the current courthouse was completed at a cost of $60,000.
County Courthouse Annex – Claxton
Location: 3 Freeman Street / North Grady Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Edwin C Eckles
Contractor: Adams Building Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a central entrance with portico having four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat with a hipped roof across the center section.
W – Tattnall County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2008 and 2018