Bryan County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Bryan County
759F18

Bryan County is named for Jonathon Bryan, who was an American Revolutionary War partisan.

 

Created:  December 19, 1793

County Seat: 

Hardwick       1793 – 1798

Cross Road   1786 – 1860

Eden              1860 – 1901

Clyde             1901 – 1937

Pembroke      1838 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pembroke

 

Location:  151 South College Street / Mary Street

Built:  1938 – 1940

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Walter E Marshall

Contractor:  B Josselson and H F Gregory

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and the west front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment with a clock at the roof line. On the north and south, the center sections project from the main building. The building has a hipped roof. The building was renovated in 1990. The architect was Edwin C Eckles and the contractor was Stewart & Associates Construction Inc. In 1993, an addition was constructed on the east side. The architect was Eckles, Martin & Rule Architects PC and the contractor was Charles H Wilkinson Company.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built at Cross Road in 1854. In 1901, the second courthouse was built at Clyde.

 

Courthouses: 

Bulloch County

E – Effingham County and Chatham County

S – Liberty County 

W – Liberty County and Evans County

 

 

 

760f18

County Courthouse

 

 

765f18

 

 

766f18

 

 

0243sc08

 

 

0244sc08

 

 

770f18

 

 

774f18

 

 

0246sc08

 

 

0247sc08

 

 

775f18

 

 

0248sc08

Photos taken 2008 and 2018