Long County is named for Crawford Williamson Long, who was a Georgia native the first physician know to have performed a surgical operation in general anesthesia induced by ether.
Created: November 2, 1920
Ludowici 1920 – present
County Courthouse – Ludowici
Location: 49 McDonald Street / Boundary Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: George Maynard Harrington
Contractor: George Maynard Harrington and T J Harrington
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ludowici. The building has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. On the second story is a wrought iron balcony above the entrance. There are white colored panels between the first and second story windows. The building was renovated in 1974.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Long County Courthouse
History: The courthouse is the first and only courthouse erected in the county.
E – McIntosh County
S – Wayne County
County Courthouse - Ludowici
Photos taken 2008 and 2013