Pierce County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Pierce County
Pierce

Pierce County is named for Franklin Pierce, who was the fourteenth president of the United States of America and who lived from 1804 to 1869.

 

Created:  December 18, 1857

County Seat: 

Blackshear  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Blackshear 

 

Location:  3550 West Highway 84 / Gordon Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta

Contractor:  George A Clayton

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southeast front has two large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance is recessed with an arched window above on the second story. The corners of the building project slightly. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. A rear addition was added in 1975.

 

Courthouses: 

Bacon County and Appling County

E – Wayne County and Brantley County

S – Brantley County

W – Ware County

 

 

 

2113f09

 

 

2114f09

 

 

2116f09_0

 

 

2117f09

 

 

2118f09_0

 

 

2119f09

Photos taken 2009