Coffee County is named for John E Coffee, who was a soldier, state legislator and congressman.
Created: February 9, 1854
Douglas 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Douglas
Location: 101 Peterson Avenue South / Ward Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Stripped Classical
Architect: William J J Chase
Contractor: A J Honeycutt Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The east section of the building has a central recessed entrance flanked by a single column on each side. Stone facing rises to the top of the second story. Lower north and south wings are red colored brick. Horizontal concrete bands run along the roof lines. The center section has stone facing with recessed entrances flanked by a single column on each side. The west section is red colored brick. The roof line is flat. In 1990 to 1991, a large addition was added on the west side. The architect was Brittain, Thompson, and Bray Inc. and the contractor was Charles E Leiwis Construction Company, Inc.
S – Atkinson County
Photos taken 2013