Tattnall County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Tattnall County
0644G13

Tattnall County is named for Josiah Tattnall, who was a player in repealing the Yazoo Act, a United States Senator and the twenty-fifth governor of Georgia.

 

Courthouses: 

– Candler County and Evans County 

E – Liberty County and Long County

S – Wayne County and Appling County

W – Toombs County 

 

Created:  December 5, 1801                  Map of Georgia highlighting Tattnall County

County Seat: 

Zacharia Cox House    1801 – 1832

Reidsville                     1832 – present

 

County Courthouse – Reidsville

 

Location:  108 Brazell Street / North Main Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta

Contractor:  G L Adams & Company

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Reidsville and has square brick towers on each corner. The front has three arches on the first story and three high arches on the second story with white colored balustrades which are also on the towers. The old courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1915, 1991 and 2008.

 

County Judicial Annex – Reidsville

 

0346sc08

 

Location:  111 North Main Street / Brazell Street

Built:  2001 – 2002

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Eckles, Martin & Rule Architects

Contractor:  Paul S Akins Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Reidsville on the north side of the courthouse. The east front has a large arched portico with glass windows behind. The roof line is flat with raised white colored sections on the north and south sides. The courtrooms are located on the second story. The building is named as the Tattnall County Judicial Annex. 

 

History:  The first court met at the home of Zaxharia Cox. In 1832, Reidsville was designated as the county seat. The second courthouse was built in 1857. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1903. The County Judicial Annex was constructed in 2001 to 2002.

 

County Administration – Reidsville

 

803f18

 

Location:  114 Brazell Street / North Main Street

Built:  1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Abreu & Robson, Incorporated of Brunswick

Contractor:  W E Fountain of Vidalia

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Reidsville on the west side of the courthouse. The south front has a one story portico with three arches. The roof line is flat with a hipped roof extending from the portico.

 

 

790f18

County Courthouse – Reidsville

 

 

0647g13

 

 

 

0646g13

 

 

0645g13

 

 

0648g13

 

 

0649g13

 

 

1633g20

 

 

1634g20

 

 

1635g20

 

 

1636g20

 

 

1637g20

 

 

1638g20

 

 

1639g20

 

 

0656g13

 

 

0657g13

 

 

799f18

County Judicial Annex – Reidsville

 

0658g13

 

 

0345sc08

 

 

802f18

 

 

1644g20

 

 

1645g20

 

 

1646g20

 

 

1647g20

 

 

1648g20

 

 

1649g20

 

 

1650g20

 

 

0348sc08

 

 

804f18

County Administration – Reidsville

 

 

805f18

 

 

806f18

Photos taken 2008, 2013, 2018 and 2020