Camden County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Camden County
Camden

Camden County is named for the Earl of Camden, who was a supporter of the American colonies prior to the American Revolution

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Brantley County and Glynn County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Nassau County, Florida

W – Charlton County

 

Created:  February 5, 1777                    Map of Georgia highlighting Camden County

County Seat: 

St. Patrick’s         1787 – 1792

St. Marys             1792 – 1800

Jeffersonton        1800 – 1869

St. Marys             1869 – 1923

Woodbine            1923 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Woodbine

 

Location:  109 Courthouse Circle / East 4th Street

Built:  1928 – 1929

Style:  Twentieth Century Gothic Revival

Architect:  J deBruyn Kops

Contractor:  McCowan & Ramsay

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Woodbine. The west front has a projecting enclosed porch at the entrance. Behind, the wall rises to a level roof line with the main part of the building rising to a peak behind that. There are wings on the north and south sides.  A large addition  was added to the east side.

 

Note:  The building is the only Gothic style courthouse in Georgia.

 

County Courthouse – Woodbine

 

2197f09

 

Location:  200 East 4th Street / Courthouse Circle

Built:  2003 – 2004

Style:  Modern Colonial Revival

Architect:  James W Buckley & Associates Inc. of Swainsboro

Contractor:  Bob Mathews Construction Company of Jacksonville, Florida

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the old courthouse, in the center of Woodbine, The south front has a large portico supported by four columns rising to a wide pediment. Behind are large arched glass windows rising to the top of the second story. The east and west wings have large arches along the first story.

 

History:  The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in Jeffersonton in 1802. The second courthouse was built in St. Marys in 1871. The old courthouse burned in 1965. The third courthouse was constructed in Woodbine in 1928 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2003 to 2004..

 

 

2193f09

Old County Courthouse – Woodbine

 

 

2195f09

 

 

2196f09

 

 

2198f09

County Courthouse – Woodbine

 

 

2199f09

 

 

2200f09

Photos taken 2009