Lee County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Lee County
0368G13

Lee County is named for Richard Henry Lee, who was a Virginia politician and a leader in the independence Movement or for Henry “light Horse Harry” Lee, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War.

 

Created:  December 14, 1826

County Seat: 

Starkville   1826 – 1854

Webster    1854 – 1856

Starkville   1856 – 1872

Leesburg   1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Leesburg

 

Location:  100 Leslie Highway / 4th Street

Built:  1917 – 1918

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  James J Baldwin

Contractor:  R W Wimbish

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment with round window above the second story. The north entrance has a stone overhang above. Behind the pediment is a raised brick section. A horizontal white colored band runs below the projecting cornice. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola rising to a clock and gold colored dome.

 

Courthouses: 

Sumter County

E – Crisp County and Worth County

S – Dougherty County

W – Terrell County

 

 

 

0373g13

 

 

0363g13

 

 

0364g13

 

 

0365g13

 

 

0367g13

 

 

0366g13

 

 

0371g13

 

 

0372g13

 

 

0374g13

 

 

0375g12

 

 

0362g13

Photos taken 2013