Charlton County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Charlton County
Charlton

Charlton County is named for Robert M Charlton, who was a United States Senator.

 

Created:  February 18, 1854

County Seat: 

Trader’s Hill  1854 – 1901

Folkston        1901 – present

 

County Courthouse – Folkston

 

Location:  100 North 3rd Street / Main Street

Built:  1928 – 1929

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival and Georgian Revival

Architect:  Roy A Benjamin

Contractor:  Basil P Kennard.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Folkston. The west front has a recessed porch with four columns rising to a header with a pediment containing a clock. A balustrade runs along the roof line. There is stone trim around the porch, windows and corners of the building. There are small on story wings on the north and south sides. The building was renovated in 1978. The architect was O’Sreen Suttles and the contractor was Richard Walker Construction Company.

 

History:  The first courthouse was a two story wooden structure built in Trader’s Hill in 1856. The courthouse burned in 1877. It is presumed that the second courthouse was built. In 1901, the county seat was moved to Folkston. The third courthouse was designed by T J Darling and constructed in 1902 and burned in 1928. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 to 1929.

 

Courthouses: 

Ware County and Brantley County 

E – Camden County and Nassau County, Florida

S – Baker County, Florida

W – Baker County, Florida and Ware County

 

 

 

2201f09

County Courthouse – Folkston

 

 

2203f09

 

 

2204f09

 

 

2205f09

 

 

2206f09

 

 

2207f09

Photos taken 2009