Appling County is named for Daniel Appling, who was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Created: December 15, 1818
Holmesville 1828 – 1873
Baxley 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Baxley
Location: 36 South Main Street / West Park Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: H L Lewman
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray stone and concrete structure. Facing east, there is a large portico supported by four large columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. There is a similar portico on the west side of the building. There is white horizontal trim at the corners which project from the building. On the center of the roof is a large red colored octagonal dome with clock. The building was renovated in 2006. The architect was McCall and Associates Inc. and the contractor was Pope Construction Company, Inc.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
County Courthouse Annex – Baxley
Location: 69 West Tippins Street / North Deans Street
Built: 2004 – 2005
Architect: McCall and Associates Inc.
Contractor: Pope Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico rising above the roof line, and with a large central arch and two smaller arches on each side. Behind is the entrance with glass panels. The first story is dark red colored brick and the second story is gray colored brick. The roof line is flat.
E – Wayne County
Photos taken 2008