La Crosse County is named for the native Indian game of “la crosse”.
Created: March 1, 1851
La Crosse 1851 – present
County Courthouse – La Crosse
Location: 333 Vine Street / 3rd Street North
Built: 1995 – 1997
Architect: Dana Larson Roubal & Associates / DLR Group
Contractor: Market & Johnson, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The south entrance is a glassed portico of one story. The building was opened in August 1997. The roof line is flat. In 2008 to 2011, an addition was added on the north side. The architect was Potter Lawson / River Architects and the contractor was Market & Johnson.
County Administration – La Crosse
Location: 400 4th Street North / Pine Street
Built: 1962 – 1964
Architect: Hackner, Schroeder and Associates
Contractor: Peter Nelson & Son
Description: The building faces east and is a three story contemporary concrete and glass structure. On the east side is a portico supported by concrete pillars. The windows form horizontal bands around the building. The roof line is flat. Until 1997, the building served as the courthouse.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by C J Ross and built by William Listman in 1867. The second courthouse was designed by Hugo Schick and Andrew Roth and constructed by Peter Nelson & Sons in 1904.
E – Monroe County
S – Vernon County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010