Buffalo County is named for the Buffalo River which was named in 1680 by Father Hennepin as the French voyagers called it “Riviere des Boeuf” meaning “Buffalo”.
Created: July 8, 1853
Alma 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Alma
Location: 407 2nd Street / Swift Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: The Cerny Associates, Inc of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Alvin Benike of Rochester, Minnesota
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The first story along the west side and north side are recessed with square concrete pillars forming a long porch. At the south end, the building is dark red colored brick and is three stories. This addition was added in 1988.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1861. The previous courthouse was constructed by Roettiger & Company in 1888.
S – Winona County
Photos taken 2007