Shiawassee County is named for the Shiawassee River and means in the Native American language “river that twists about”.
Created: September 10, 1831
Corunna 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Corunna
Location: 208 North Shiawassee Street / East McArthur Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Claire Allen of Jackson
Contractor: George Rickman and Sons of Kalamazoo
Description: The building faces west and is a three story limestone structure. On the west side is a large portico supported by four high white columns with a decorative pediment at the roof line. The cornice projects along the roof line. On the center of the roof is an elegant clock tower with columns and domed roof.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Stephen Hawkins in 1839 at a cost of $382.50.The previous courthouse was built by George O Bachman in 1850 at a cost of $4500.
County Judicial Center – Corunna
Location: 110 East Mack Street / North Shiawassee Street
Description: The building faces north and is a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The roof line is flat.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Saginaw County
E – Genesee County
W – Clinton County
Photos taken 2008