Iowa County is named for the Iowa Native American people.
Created: October 9, 1829
Mineral Point 1829 – 1861
Dodgeville 1861 – present
County Courthouse – Dodgeville
Location: 222 North Iowa Street / West Merrimac Street
Built: 1859 – 1861
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Ernest Wiesen
Contractor: Thomas Carkeek and Samuel Cornelius
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored native Galena limestone structure. The building has a portico on the east front supported by four large white colored Doric columns. Above the entrance is an octagonal white colored cupola. The building was enlarged in 1894, 1927 and 1969 and the interior was renovated. The columns and cupola were restored in 1937.
Note: The building is the oldest courthouse in Wisconsin still used as a courthouse.
S – Lafayette County
W – Grant County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010