Crawford County is named for William Harris Crawford, who was United States Secretary of the Treasury.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Vernon County
E – Richland County
S – Grant County
Created: October 26, 1818
Prairie du Chien 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Prairie du Chien
Location: 220 North Beaumont Road / Park Street
Built: 1867 – 1868
Style: Italianate and Georgian Revival
Architect: Building Commmittee / Michael Menges
Contractor: Michael Menges
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored Dolomitic limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of Prairie du Chien. The center section projects from the main building and has a large arched window on the second story and rises to a peak at the roof line. A wide eave follows the roof line. The west wing of the building has two protruding entranceways. The roof is hipped. In the interior is a long east-west hallway. At the southeast corner, stairs ascend to the second story. The large County Circuit Court courtroom is located at the center of the second story. There is a small courtroom located on the south side of the first story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 7th Judicial Circuit. The oldest part of the building was constructed in 1867 and contains old jail cells in the basement known as “The Dungeon”. The building was enlarged in 1896 and rebuilt in 1930 to 1931.
Note: The plans for the courthouse were approved by the Building Committee comprised of H Dousman, H Beach and William Dutcher, in 1866 and was constructed with limestone hauled from the village of Bridgeport.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Crawford County Courthouse
See: The 7th Judicial District includes Adams County, Buffalo County, Clark County, Grant County, iowa County, Jackson County, Juneau County, La Crosse County, Monroe County, Pepin County, Pierce County, Richland County, Trempealeau County and Vernon County.
History: The county was created in 1818 as part of the Michigan Territory and Prairie du Chien was selected as the county seat. The second county created in 1818 was Brown County. The courts met in log houses, schools and barns. The county became part of the Wisconsin Territory in 1836. In 1843. The courthouse was demolished when the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1867 to 1868 at a cost of $23,000. The County Administration Building was constructed in 2003 to 2005.
County Administration Building – Prairie du Chien
Location: 225 North Beaumont Road / W Court Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Avenue Architects Inc, of Spring Green
Contractor: P A Mcguire Construction Inc. of Highland
Description: The building faces east and is a two story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of Prairie du Chien. The entrance is located in a one story section on the north side of the east front;
County Courthouse - Prairie du Chien
County Circuit Court courtroom
Counrty Circuit Court courtroom
Weighted prisoner boot
Jury selection box
County Administration Building - Prairie du Chien
Photos taken 2007 and 2010