Manitowoc County is named for the Ojibwe Native American word “Munedoo-owk” meaning “the place of good spirit”.
Created: December 7, 1836
Manitowoc Rapids 1839 – 1853
Manitowoc 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Manitowoc
Location: 1010 South 8th Street / Washington Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Beaux Arts / Classical Revival
Architect: Christ H Tegen
Contractor: George Rickman & Sons Company
Description: The building faces weat and is a three story stone structure. The large porticos have five arches on the first story and sic columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. A wide eave follows the flat roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square dome with silver roof and a small cupola at the top.
E – Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2007