Cass County

US States / N / North Dakota / Cass County
057F07

Cass County is named for George Washington Cass (1810-1888), president of the Northern Pacific Railroad.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Steele County and Traill County

E – Norman County, Minnesota and Clay County, Minnesota

S – Richland County and Ransom County

W – Barnes County

 

Created:  January 4, 1873                      Map of North Dakota highlighting Cass County

County Seat:

Fargo  1873 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fargo

 

Location:  211 9th Street South / 3rd Avenue South

Built:  1904 – 1906

Style:  Renaissance Revival and French Second Empire

Architect:  Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota

Contractor:  Johnson & Power

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story brown colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the south side of the center of Fargo. The building is 70 feet by 109 feet when opened on July 31, 1906. The building is faced with Port Wing brown colored sandstone. Belt courses delineate the foundation and each story. In the center is a square tower with a pair of free standing polished granite Roman Ionic columns on each side of the first story entrance and rising to a pediment. On the roof is a square sandstone tower with clock and silver colored dome. At the center a rotunda rises with domed roof. The original County District Court courtroom was removed but two County District Court courtrooms flank the rotunda on the third story. In 1981 to 1982, an addition was added on the north side. The architect was Clark, Holman and Moorhead Ltd. In 1986, an addition was added on the south side. The architect was Clark, Holman & Moorhead Ltd. In 2012 an addition was constructed on the west side to house additional County District Court courtrooms. The building houses the County District Court of the East Central Judicial District. The addition has a wide hall with courtroom along the north side. The architect was Kimme & Associates and the contractor was Meineck – Johnson Company. On the west side of the building is the new jail facilities. Nearby is the County Courthouse Annex.

 

See:  The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Cass County Courthouse

 

See:  The East Central Judicial District includes Steele County and Traill County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Fargo was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1874. The building was used as a YMCA and boarding house and then torn down in 1967. The second courthouse was a two story structure designed by Daniels & Proctor and built by Megar & Kelly in 1883 at a cost of $50,000. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on November 7, 1903. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1906 at a cost of $141,000. 

 

 

051f07

County Courthouse – Fargo

 

 

053f07

 

 

054f07

 

 

055f07

 

 

058f07

 

 

0048i08

 

 

0050i08

 

 

122d18

 

 

130d18

 

 

129d18

 

 

128d18

 

 

123d18

 

 

124d18

 

 

125d18

 

 

126d18

 

 

131d18

County District Court courtroom in original courthouse

 

 

132d18

 

 

132d18_0

 

 

133d18

 

 

0051i08

 

 

120d18

West Courthouse Addition – Fargo

 

 

135d18

 

 

136d18

 

 

137d18

County District Court courtroom

 

 

138d18

 

 

139d18

 

 

140d18

 

 

141d18

 

 

142d18

 

 

0054i08

County Courthouse Annex – Fargo

Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2018