Clark County is named for either George Rogers Clark, who was an American Revolutionary War leader or for A W Clark, who founded Clark’s Mill.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Taylor County
S – Jackson County
Created: July 6, 1853
Neillsville 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Neillsville
Location: 517 Court Street / 6th Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: Carl W Schubert and Associates, Inc. of La Crosse
Contractor: Ellis Stone Construction Company of Stevens Point
Description: The building faces north and is a three story stone, glass and concrete structure. The building sits on a rise of landscaped grounds in the center of Neillsville. The building is faced with a light colored polish stone. The building has narrow vertical windows between vertical stone dividing columns. The entrances are recessed along the length of the building. The roof line is flat. On the south side is the Old County Jail erected in 1897.
History: The county was created in 1853 and Neillsville was selected as the county seat. The second courthouse was designed by C J Ross and built by C B Bradshaw in 1876. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1961 to 1962.
County Courthouse – Nellsville
Photos taken 2007