Pepin County is named for Pierre Pepin and Jean Pepin, of Chardon, who were explorers of the region.
Created: February 25, 1858
Durand 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Durand
Location: 740 7th Avenue West / Oakwood Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Joseph Durran
Contractor: Viking Construction of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was remodeled in 1983 after it was used as a hospital and nursing home. The building sits on landscaped grounds at the top of a hil to the south of the center of the town. Along the west side are two porticos at the two entrances. The roof line is flat. The building is names as the Pepin County Government Center.
Note: The building was sold to the City of Durand in 1971 and in 1972 and Pepin County purchased a 30 percent interest in the property. The hospital continued to operate until the early 1980s. In 1983, the City of Durand deeded interests in the former hospital to the county for the new government center which opened in 1984. In the late 1990s a significant addition expanded the jail and law center.
Old County Courthouse – Durand
Location: 315 West Madison Street / 2nd Avenue East
Built: 1873 – 1874
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Miles Durand Prindle
Contractor: Miles Durand Prindle
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The north front has four white colored wood columns. Atop the roof is a white colored wood cupola.
Note: The building is the only remaining wood frame courthouse in Wisconsin.
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006 and 2015