Carter County is named for Thomas Henry Carter, who was a United States Senator from Montana.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Fallon County
S – Crook County, Wyoming
Created: February 22, 1917
Ekalaka 1917 – present
County Courthouse – Ekalaka
Location: 214 Park Street / South Main Street
Built: 1919 – 1920
Architect: John Link and Charles Haire of Billings
Contractor: Lantis Rickard Lumber of Ekalaka
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of Ekalaka. There is a one story projection at the central entrance on the north side. Above the entrance on the second story is a large window. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with smaller cupola at the top. The supervising architect was John Thompson.
Note: The cost of construction, including materials and manpower was approximately $18,000. The fixtures, which included office equipment and vaults were purchased from Billings Stationary & Office Company for about $1,400.00. The lighting contract was with L F Bruggemann for a cost of $600.00.
See: The courthouse is one of two wood courthouses in Montana and the other wood courthouse is in Daniels County.
See: The architect, John G Link of Montana ( in association with Charles S Haire and others ) designed courthouses in Montana in Big Horn County, Custer County, Dawson County, Granite County, McCone County, Musselshell County, Richland County, Rosebud County, Sheridan County and Silver Bow County; in Oregon in Jackson Countyand in Wyoming in Park County, Sheridan County and Washakie County.
History: The county was created in 1917 and Ekalaka was designated as the county seat. The first and only courthouse was constructed in 1919 to 1920.
County Courthouse - Ekalaka
Photos taken 2009