Pierce County is named for Franklin Pierce, who was President of the United States from 1853 to 1857.
Created: February 25, 1858
Ellsworth 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Ellsworth
Location: 414 West Main Street / South Plum Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts and Classical Revival
Architect: Buechner and Orth of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: Charles Skooglun
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front portico is supported by two thin columns. The center section rises to a pediment at the roof line. There is a wide cornice running below the roof line. Atop the building is an octagonal white dome with gold painted roof.
County Administration – Ellsworth
Location: 412 West Kinne Street / South Plum Street
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse. The main entrance is on the second story with first story situate down the slope of the hill. The roof is pitched.
Photos taken 2006 and 2015