Yankton County is named for the Yankton Sioux Native Americans who lived in the region at the time of settlement.
Created: April 10, 1862
Yankton 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Yankton
Location: 410 Walnut Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Glen Mannes of James Duffy & Associates
Contractor: Keller Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a two story light brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The west front has a central entrance which projects from the main building. On the south side there are vertical pilasters with a wide band along the roof line. The roof rises with horizontal windows and flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. An addition was built in 2006 and completed in 2008. The architect was Architecture Inc. of Sioux Falls and the contractor was Welfl Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W R Parsons & Son and constructed by Sam Engelbreth in 1905. The building was demolished in 2003 and the Yankton County Government Center was constructed on the site. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $810,000 and the cost of construction of the addition was $8,000,000.
County Administration – Yankton
Location: 321 West 3rd Street / Broadway Avenue
Built: 2003 – 2004
Architect: Glenn H Mannes, Architects of Yankton
Contractor: Tellinghuisen, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On the west side are three large columns and a recessed area. On the north front and south side the entrance projects from the main building with glass exterior. On the west side are three concrete columns rising to a header at the roof line. Behind the columns is a recessed section with sloped glass panels. Inside is an open atrium. The building is called the Yankton County Government Center.
Old County Courthouse – Yankton
Location: 500 Douglas Avenue / West 5th Street
Built: 1876 – 1877
Description: The building faces west and is a two story cream colored stucco and wood frame structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The west front has a small portico on the first story with double arched window on the second story. Along the south side is a rectangular section with arched windows. The north section has a hipped roof. The building is now apartments.
W – Bon Homme County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2007, 2011, 2016 and 2018