Houston County is named for Sam Houston, who was a Texas politician.
Created: February 23, 1854
Caledonia 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Caledonia
Location: 304 South Marshall Street / Washington Street
Built: 1883 – 1885
Architect: Maybury and Sons of Winona
Contractor: Noonan and Stellwager
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored rough limestone structure. The east front has a recessed entrance trimmed with stone on the first story. Above rises a high square stone tower with peaked roof. The building extends outwards on the north and south sides. The building contains five chandeliers and ornamental woodwork. In 1965 and 1966, an annex was added. The contractor was Nelson Construction Company of Caledonia. In 1977, another larger addition was added on the north side. The contractor was Kratt, Meyer and Lachecki of La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857 and the second courthouse was built in 1868 at a cost of $2,000. The cost of construction of the current courthouse was $60,000.
N – Winona County
W – Fillmore County
Photos taken 2008