Juneau County is named for Solomon Juneau, who was the founder of Milwaukee and who lived from 1793 to 1856.
Created: October 13, 1856
Mauston 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Mauston
Location: 220 East State Street / Oak Street
Built: 1938 – 1940
Architect: Donn Hougen of Wisconsin Rapids
Contractor: Leo Finger
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story buff colored flagstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The third story is recessed. Light polished stone trims the two entrances on the north side of the building, under the windows on the first and second stories and along the cornice at the top of the second story. Wide stone steps ascend to the two entrances. Inside there are marble floors and richly paneled courtrooms. The building is a Works Project Administration project. The Works Project Administration supervisors were Frank R Bell and Frank Novak.
County Justice Center – Mauston
Location: 200 Oak Street / La Crosse Street
Built: 2000 – 2001
Architect: Ayers Associates
Contractor: Kraemer Brothers
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, white colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse in the center of the city. On the north side is red colored brick facing with narrow vertical windows. On the west side is white stone facing at the entrance and across the top with red brick along the bottom two-thirds. The building contains the courts.
N – Wood County
E – Adams County
S – Sauk County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2010