Rock County is named for the prominent outcrop of quartzite north of Luverne.
Created: May 23, 1857
Luverne 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Luverne
Location: 204 East Brown Street / Cedar Street
Built: 1887– 1888
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque Revival
Architect: T D Allen of Minneapolis
Contractor: A Tollefson of Luverne
Description: The building faces southwest and is a four story stone structure. The buildimng is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building is constructed with red colored Sioux quartzite. The quartzite is rough-faced, along with the Kasota stone of the arches, string courses and window hoods of the two stories, as well as the high basement and attic. The dominant feature is the four story round tower on the southwest corner, with the main entrance through the arches at its base. The tower is capped with an open balustraded gazebo-like observation area with a conical roof. The windows are narrow, vertical and single, except in the central bays of the second story, where triple windows are topped by a curve extending into the gable. The interior has oak woodwork. On the east side is the old red colored stone Jail and Sheriff’s Residence built in 1890..
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1875 and a brick vault was added in 1879. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $23,500.
N – Pipestone County
E – Nobles County
S – Lyon County, Iowa
W – Minnehaha County, South Dakota
Photos taken 2007 and 2017