Grant County is named for a white Indian trader named Grant and the name was given to the area during the British control.
Created: December 8, 1836
Lancaster 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Lancaster
Location: 130 West Maple Street / South Madison Street
Built: 1902 – 1905
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Armand D Koch
Contractor: The Northern Building Company of Minneapolis , Minnesota and Robert Brooker of Lancaster.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brownstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front protrudes to create the main entrance, with the south wing and north wing behind. Inside are murals painted by Franz Edward Rohrbeck. On the center of the roof is an octagonal glass and copper dome topped by a small open cupola.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1853.
County Administration – Lancaster
Location: 111 South Jefferson Street / W Maple Street
Built: 1997 – 1998
Architect: Ayers Associated
Contractor: Miron Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse. The building has a flat roof line.
S – Jo Daviess County. Illinois
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2012