Grant County

US States / M / Minnesota / Grant County
Grant

Grant County is named for Ulysses Grant, who led the  Union forces to victory in the American Civil War and  was elected President of the United States.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Otter Tail County

E – Douglas County

S – Stevens County

W – Traverse County and Wilkin County


Created:  March 6, 1868                         Map of Minnesota highlighting Grant County

County Seat:

Elbow Lake  1868 – present

 

County Courthouse – Elbow Lake

 

Location:  10  Second Street NE / Central Avenue North

Built:  1905 – 1906

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Charles E Bell and Meno S Detweiler of Minneapolis

Contractor:  Prince Construction Company of Minneapolis

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of  Elbow Lake and has a towering segmented dome. The building is 97 feet by 75 feet and rises 102.5 feet to the top of the tower. The Portwing brownstone came from a quarry near Duluth. The roof is built of slate, the floors of terrazzo, the wainscoting of the main corridor of pink Tennessee marble. The building is decorated with murals. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

See:  The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.

 

History:  The first courthouse was designed by A C Earsley and built by H H Wilson of Alexandria in 1878 at a cost of $1,225. The cost of construction in 1905 to 1906 of the second and present courthouse was $60,202. Oden J Oyen of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, was paid $3,000 for decorating the inside of the building with murals and other artwork.

 

                       

1898i-i08

County Courthouse – Elbow Lake

 

 

1900i-i08

 

 

1901i-i08

 

 

1903i-i08

 

 

1912i-i08

 

 

1911i-i08

 

 

1906i-i08

 

 

1907i-i08

 

 

1908i-i08

 

 

1909i-i08

 

 

1910i-i08

 

 

167m17

 

 

168m17

 

 

169m17

 

 

170m17

 

 

171m17

 

 

1904i-i08

Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2017