Richardson County

US States / N / Nebraska / Richardson County
Richardson

Richardson County is named for William A Richardson, who was the third territorial governor in 1858.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Nehama County

E – Holt County, Missouri

S – Doniphan County, Kansas, Brown County, Kansas and Nemaha County, Kansas

W – Pawnee County

 

Created:  November 23, 1854                Map of Nebraska highlighting Richardson County

County Seat:

Archer      1855 – 1857

Falls City  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Falls City

 

Location:  1700 Stone Street / West 17th Street

Built:  1923 – 1925

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  William F Gernandt of Omaha

Contractor:  Henry Ohlsen and Sons of Davis City.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story rectangular buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The central section extends slightly from the main building and has four large columns rising from the second story to the third story with a ornamented pediment above at the roof line. A horizontal cornice runs between the first and second stories and above the third story.

 

Note:  The third floor district courtroom has a unique, historical ‘Art Nouveau’ work and is a significant example of the style used in interior decorations done by two Danish immigrant artists and interior decorators, James Willer and Charles Hansen. Willer and Hansen interior decorating involved free-hand painting, and also creative designs created by using stencils using either a pattern cut in paper, wood, or metal.

 

See:  The architect, William F Gernandt of Omaha, designed courthouses in Clay County, Dawson County, Merrick County, Pawnee County, Phelps County, Polk County, Sarpy CountyValley County and Webster County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Richardson County Courthouse

 

History:  The first county seat was Archer. The county seat was moved to Falls City in 1857. The first courthouse was built in Falls City in 1863 at a cost of $3,000. The second courthouse was built in 1873 and burned on May 7, 1919. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1924 to 1925 at a cost of $210,000.

 

Note:  The lowest point in Nebraska is the Missouri River at 840 feet ( 256 meters ) which is located in the county.

 

 

0547i08

County Courthouse – Falls City

 

 

0549i08

 

 

0550i08

 

 

0551i08

 

 

0552i08

 

 

0553i08

Photos taken 2008