Thayer County is named for John Milton Thayer, who was a Civil War general and a Governor of Nebraska.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Fillmore County
E – Jefferson County
S – Republic County, Kansas
W – Nuckolls County
Created: March 1, 1871
Hebron 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Hebron
Location: 225 North 4th Street / Olive Avenue
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: George A Berlinghof of Beatrice
Contractor: Robert Butke of Omaha
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray Indiana Bedford limestone and Vermont marble structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hebron. The castle-like building is square in shape. The basement is raised and the east front has a large arch with recessed entrance. The first story windows are arched and second story has castle-like turrets and a clock below the flat roof line. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 1st Judicial District.
Note: The courthouse had a central tower above the east entrance that was so badly damaged by the Hebron tornado of 1953 that it was removed.
See: The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Colfax County, Franklin County, Greeley County, Howard County, Kearney County, Lincoln County, Nemaha County and Seward County; and in Iowa in Crawford County.
History: The county was created in 1871 and Hebron was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story wooden structure built in 1877 with the jail cell underneath having two small port holes. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1901 to 1902.
County Courthouse - Hebron
Photos taken 2009