Pawnee County is named for the Pawnee Native American tribe who resided in the region.
Created: March 6, 1855
Pawnee City 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Pawnee City
Location: 625 6th Street / Sherman Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William F Gernandt of Omaha
Contractor: J H Wagenknecht of Wathena, Kansas
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building has a large portico on the north side with four large stone columns rising from the second story to the third story. Three square openings are on the first story. Stairs rise on the east and west to the main second story entrance.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Curtix & Peavy in 1868. An addition was constructed in 1878. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, William F Gernandt of Omaha, designed courthouses in Clay County, Dawson County, Merrick County, Phelps County, Polk County, Richardson County, Sarpy County, Valley County and Webster County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Pawnee County Courthouse
W – Gage County
Photos taken 2008