Johnson County is named for Richard M. Johnson, who was Vice-President of the United States of America from 1837 to 1841.
Created: March 2, 1855
Tecumseh 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Tecumseh
Location: Courthouse Square – South 3rd Street / Broadway Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Classical Revival and Romanesque
Architect: William Gray of Lincoln
Contractor: W B Schmucker of Falls City
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is constructed with cherry red colored St. Joseph brick and Nemaha County limestone. The building has porticos on the north, west and south sides with three brick pillars on the first story and six thin columns on the second story, rising to a pediment. The south and north wings project from the building and have pediments with small domes above. On the center of the building is an octagonal cupola with steep dome and small cupola at the top. The base of the building is course white colored stone.
Note: Previous courthouses were constructed in 1857 and 1868 on the courthouse square.
See: The architect, William Gray of Lincoln, also designed the courthouse in Cass County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Johnson County Courthouse
N – Otoe County
E – Nemaha County
S – Pawnee County
W – Gage County
Photos taken 2008