Holt County is named for David Rice Holt, who was a Missouri legislator from the Platte Purchase.
Created: January 29, 1841
Oregon 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Oregon
Location: 100 East Nodaway Street / South Main Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: B R Hunter of Geis, Hunter and Ramos, Kansas City
Contractor: Herbert and Broomer of St. Joseph.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is precast concrete with light red colored brick. Tinted glass windows are on the exterior with a double glassed entrance. Above the entrance is a clock atop the flat roof line.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Jesse Carroll in 1841 to 1842 at a cost of $659. The second courthouse was built by Henry Watson in 852 at a cost of $6,000. The building was remodeled in 1881> The architect was Levi Zook and the contractor was Moses Bennett. The building was remodeled again in 1911. The architect was Eckel and Aldrich of St. Joseph. Another addition was added in 1938. Fire destroyed the building in 1965.
S – Doniphan County, Kansas
Photos taken 2008