Atchison County is named for David Rice Atchison, who was a United States Senator from Missouri.
Created: February 14, 1845
Linden 1846 – 1856
Rock Port 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Rock Port
Location: 400 South Washington Street / West Cass Street
Built: 1882 – 1883
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Edmund J Eckel and George R Mann of St. Joseph
Contractor: R K Allen
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits on the side of a hill. The east front has a high square brick clock tower. The steeply sloped mansard roofs and projecting dormer windows are covered with slate and metal roofing. Decorative brick corbeling below the eaves provides a transition from wall to roof.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Isaac F Wallis in Linden in 1848 at a cost of $475. A courthouse was designed by W H Dunbar and constructed in 1858 in Rock Port at a cost of $12,000 to $15,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $25,000.
See: The architect, Edmund J Eckel and George R Mann of St. Joseph and the contractor, R K Allen, also designed and constructed the courthouse in Nodaway County
E – Nodaway County
Photos taken 2008