Merrick County is named for Elvira Merrick, who was the wife of Henry W DePuy, a territorial legislator.
Created: November 4, 1858
Elvira 1858 – 1869
Central City 1869 – present
County Courthouse – Central City
Location: 1510 18th Street / 15th Avenue
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William F Gernandt of Omaha
Contractor: H Elenberger & Company of Chicago, Illinois
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The west central section projects and has two columns rising from the second to the third story with a pediment above. The east and wings have a columns and the corner sections rise to a small pediment. The base of the building is stone. The roof line of the main section is flat. On the east side is a one story addition of white colored stone. The interior features hexagonal floor title with regularly spaced pattern in black, tan, rust and ocher and a border pattern
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1871. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, William F Gernandt of Omaha, designed courthouses in Clay County, Dawson County, Pawnee County, Phelps County, Polk County, Richardson County, Sarpy County, Valley County and Webster County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Merrick County Courthouse
S – Hamilton County
Photos taken 2010